Friday, August 27, 2010

The Basketball Series: Part 3: We talkin' about PRACTICE

This is the 3rd and final installment of The Basketball Series.  



For thse who are unfamiliar, no my grammar is not that bad the title eludes to a rant that NBA star (or I guess former now he doesn't seem to be doing too much these days) Allen Iverson went on a rant about practice...





Well this is not a rant by any means just a simple explanation of what has been going on in the practice realm of my new world (those looking for another hilarious story may exit now...I use the bathroom before every practice)

The one thing I have been looking forward to since I got here was seeing the dynamics of practice.  Not necessarily practice but just actually playing basketball.  The language of basketball is universal and even though it may be hard to translate some of the x's and o's for the most part it is the best way to communicate with some of my teammates who dont speak english.  

At the meeting with my coach (see part 1) we went over some of the things in the handbook and he noted that we would be putting in a few of our sets to get us ready for competition.  I think a few in Bulgaria means and astronomical amount that takes a full college degree to comprehend.  He meant business when we put in our plays.  The plays we have are very good...diverse and when broken down...quite simple for us to understand.  But there are alot.  We learn a few each day and still have to remember the other ones.  Its tough for me because he explains it mostly in Bulgarian and then in english for me.  Its hard though because I cant ask my teammates questions or find out where to go.  One time our point guard called a play.

Me: Hold on, hold on which one is this now?
PG: ...
Me:  Like where do I go?
PG: ...
Me: Do i screen?
PG: ...






...I'm having fun.








My coach then comes up and says to me, "If you say good morning he will understand....but thats about it."  Welp so much for that PG big man relationship.  Maybe ill take up being a mime...thats universal i would assume.  


I was really frustrated after one practice because of all the plays and said to myself...what am i supposed to do its not like I have the free time to lear...then it dawned on me....yes you do.
I mean what else do i do all day?? Blog?? (I mean hey thinking of new material to appease the masses is work but come on)  I have all the time in the world!!  I start to study the plays and break them down.  I write what each big does for each play and start the memorization.  It works.  Its amazing what a little studying does to help you (why do i feel like I am saying this 4 years too late..ehh cant think of when it wouldve been necessary)

Like anything new...the more you look at it the less overwhelming it becomes..it soons begins to make sense and stick in my memory...im slowly on my way.

One great thing about practice is that we stretch alot during practice.  This is great for the good ole knees and really helps get loose enough to run up and down the floor.  So far we have not played against each other yet but are getting used to the plays and where to be.  This journey should be a lot of fun.


Home basket
Away Basket
This is the Rilski Sportist gym.  The nicest in Bulgaria.







2 comments:

  1. Hey Adam. Sounds like you are working hard and starting to get used to your new situation. I guess you will be speaking Bulgarian pretty soon : )

    Best of luck on the season. I am looking forward to following you on this blog.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. just sent you an email...hit me when you get a chance...I see you are becoming the ultimate blogger...

    ReplyDelete