Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Proud to be an American

And that ladies and gentlemen is why I am proud to be an American....






Okay if that seems out of context to you it is because it is the very end of my blog. Guess you are wondering where that came from huh? (or just rolling your eyes because you already know my brand of horrible humor..but hey you're reading it so enough with the cynicism.)








So today was a glorious half day off..yes i said half day and no I am not being sarcastic. Half day off...glorious.



As a team we decided to go to the pool for a little R&R (which would usually stand for RUNNING AND RUNNING!!!!...but today it stood for the intended rest and relaxation.)







we all get in the pool.







I get in and start doggie paddling just to be silly...all of a sudden everyone starts cracking up and making fun of my poor swimming skills. This prompts several conversations.



The first is about the big stereotype about how most black people cant swim...we talk about why this is and what may have caused this fear. We talk about the olympics some and michael phelps and of course I brag about America (i mean 8 in a row? come on who wouldn't?) Well as I am doing that I doggie paddle slash half swim to the side...seemed like some water went down the wrong tube...my body involuntarily expells it out ( this is a complicated way to say...i coughed). My teammates then make the comments of well you are american you cant swim like him and blah blah blah...my swimming may not have been great but I didn't think it was that bad. My pride starts to get the best of me.







Adam:"Well who wants to race me!!! I'll race anybody!!!"

Teammates: "Come on Adam relax we just play with you"

Adam: "Nah come on!!! Ill put 5 leva on each person who wants to race!!"

Teammates: "Done."











They set up what will eventually be four races with three people in each race..they say its so I can "win back my money in case I lose" I know they are all just trying to get a piece of the pie.





As we set up to race I know that with the swimming that they just saw me do I will lose and pretty badly...









we set up to race.





ready...



















set....



















Ok ok ok before I start this race there let me mention a few things. The first one is my upbringing. I grew up in Miami, Florida. Great place with beautiful beaches and lots of pools...pools...aka we lived near water...aka i was at the pool...all the time...aka...oh i know how to swim ladies and gentlemen...





Every year from 5 to 11 I swam on a swim team...got pretty good at it too. Placed third place in the state of Florida for backstroke one year. Thats the first thing...here is the second thing...







So Miami isn't the best place to grow up and on the basketball courts of Cagni Park I might have seen a little more than basketball go on there. Regardless of what the activities were there was one recurring theme every youngster sort of picks up.







How.



to.



hustle.







For those of lighter color may read this explanation on Hustling...all others (Watts you are in this group) May scroll to the next paragraph.



Hustle-1. To move or act energetically and rapidly: We hustled to get dinner ready on time.

2. To push or force one's way.

3. To act aggressively, especially in business dealings.

4. Slang

a. To misrepresent one's ability in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling.



Ok I'm not gonna spoon feed you the answer but it is one of those.























Ok so mayyybeee I doggie paddled a little lamely on purpose...and mayybbbeee I "accidentally" got water in my mouth and started "choking" on it...and maaaybbbeee I kinda sorta figured they would want to beat the american at swimming and challenge me. Gotta love American values...





As we are setting up for the race one of my teammates goes..."hey guys you know he could be really good at swimming so you better go hard"







The all laugh.







Right before the whistle I look at him....and wink....



























So after I reached the end of the pool and realized the closest competitor was a good 10 meters (im fully immersed in european culture now) behind me I silent celebrated my victory...

































Sike, i'm lyin this is probably more what I looked like









































I dont remember exactly what I said after the race but it was something about Black and Michael Phelps...Blichael Phelps i think i called myself. Needless to say I made quite an impression on the pool crowd (which consisted of little kids and a swim instructor, but ill take my fans where I can get them) and my teammates. The other races were forfeit due to bulgarian contestant withdrawals.





All in all it was a fun relaxing day and as I sat on the side of the pool listening to my ipod I couldnt help but smile at the little victory I got the USA over in Bulgaria. That it doesn't matter how I look or where I'm from, you never know what someone has learned.

















And that ladies and gentlemen is why I am proud to be an American....




Gotta love a full circle story.










Oh and for those teammates that lost the race???





















That sucks, Pay me.





9 comments:

  1. Makes me proud to be an American. ha ha ha. Love it man. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This my friend...is why I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i literally laughed out loud in my house. lindsey can attest to it. great story....and great hustling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and we're proud to know you!!!! We are loving this blog stuff!!!!! Thanks for keeping in touch this way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAH ....this is one of the many reasons why you are my best friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandbagger! ;D Well it will be interesting to see if they have learned their lesson or if you'll be able to fool everyone again soon. All in good fun, and I'm sure they enjoyed it and it helped build even more on the legend of Adam Constantine. BTW, I love it that this post wound up getting all sorts of random ads from people who sell and build swimming pools!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha, wonderful story Adam, thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, the "Elon" comments are from me, Tony Sawyer. Good to see you on your blog Adam : )

    ReplyDelete