Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Basketball Series Part 1: That Sucks, Pay Me.



This 3 part series is intended to shed some light on the game I love to those miles away.  Some of the concepts are familiar just slightly altered to tailor this team's system.  Other aspects are completely new to me. 

This is Part One: That Sucks. Pay me.




Coach: "I want you to meet me for coffee.  Now we talk about basketball."
Now thats what I'm talkin about.
This was said immediately after one of our hellish Running of the Mountains.  When he told me that I was so ecstatic, nervous, and filled with anticipation I didn't even care that I don't drink coffee.  This is why I was brought here.  This is the reason why I endure this mountain, these multi-mile runs and sleepless stressful nights.  
Basketball.  
A simple game to some.  
An entertaining spectacle for others.
A job, an art form, and a passion for me.
  He asked me to bring the playbook and the Disciplinary Rules to the meeting.  I triple check my stuff before I leave to make sure I have everything.
I do.
I check again.
I arrive at the coffee shop and wait for coach to arrive only to further ponder what our meeting might hold.  This is my first one on one basketball meeting as a pro.  You may be thinking that i'm making this out to be a little bit bigger than it really is.  Maybe you're right.  Or maybe this is my blog and i can make it however I want. (Did I just get defensive with an imaginary critic?)
Now this entry will focus on one part of the meeting, and it is the part that is newest to me.  Because up until this point it has been about the pure love of the game.  No rewards except for the reward of winning (which don't get me wrong can feel prettyyyy sweet at times.)  This part though is the first part that separates amatuer atheletics from the pros.
The business side. 
 I look over the two page front and back sheet of paper that has all the rules.  Now all of these rules are familiar to me because the are very similar to ones we had in college, if you break a rule for example in the weight room, you will have to do extra drills, or whatever the strength coach sees fit.  Let's say you are late for class or skip class all together (never on purpose I always had a legitimate reason...like i was tired, or I didnt wanna go.  Of course if any of my teachers are reading this I NEVER did this with YOUR class :)..i think) and coach finds out you run.  Let's say you have the audacity to talk back in practice.  you and probably your whole team runs.  If you wake up and see that you are late for a meeting or practice (which is the worst feeling in the world...worse than breaking up with a girlfriend, failing a test, and losing a big toe...combined) then you will be running for a long time...and making up whatever you missed in practice.
In the professional system there is only one penatly that they have if you do something wrong.  As I listened to Coach talk about the different rules and the repercussions (yeah. i took the SATs, i know big words), it reminded of one of my favorite parts of the movie Goodfellas where one of the smaller mob guys partners with one of the bosses to help bring in money.  It didn't matter how much or how little the mob guy earned he owed the same amount to the boss without question. This is how the pro system works. However the way i will type it is a much more watered down version of what was actually said in the movie due to the language (what a family friendly blog this is.  Either way here is basically what happens when rules are broken.  
Gonna be late for practice?
Coach: That sucks, pay me.







Decide that you dont wanna practice?
Coach: That sucks, pay me.








Decide to stay out a little later past curfew?
Coach: That sucks, pay me.









Wanna argue and cause a scene with the coach?
Coach: That sucks, pay me.








Wanna drink excessively or use other types of substances?
Coach: That sucks, pay me.









Basically being a pro means making money, and in some cases alot of money (now that alot of money does not apply to me as of yet...which makes the penalties even more important to me...although sometimes i even wonder if there is enough money to get through a mountain run...my guess is no...but i digress) and with money comes egos whether the are deserved or not...alot of cases big time players are making more than the coach.  So how do you control these large egotistical athletes?  Hit 'em where it hurts.  Their wallets.  Taking away money is a pretty good deterrent for doing anything stupid.  No longer does the college excuse of "I dont care if I have to run tomorrow I'm still doin out tonight" seem to carry much bravado. (Never did to me in the first place but hey you'd be surprised what is cool in certain locker room settings).  So if you wanna run up a mountain and do something stupid to get your money taken away more power to ya, but unlike Gerard Butler (movie reference incoming) ill be a Law Abiding Citizen thank you.




5 comments:

  1. Great. I love the "imaginary critic" - we all have that in our heads, it's OK. It makes you better as long as you don't let it change your true voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah don't let him fool you guys "now that alot of money does not apply to me as of yet".... I read his contract. He makes like 10 million every practice and like another 50 million every game. He just trying to ward off the "fake friends". You're not foolin anybody... we want our cut!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the Law Abiding Citizen reference/posters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack, how rude. Adam, show ME the money, just so I can make sure it's not dirty, you know? Much love.

    ReplyDelete