Thursday, August 12, 2010

Go Over There, Kill it, and Come Home

There has been much conversation since I made it public that I will be playing for Rilski Sportist of the Bulgarian and Balkan leagues.  Some has been jokes about Bulgaria ranging from the temperature to how many weapons i receive upon arrival.  Some has been clarification, "Where is Bulgaria?" "What language do they speak?" "Is it cold there?" "Are there other black people?"
Answers: Near Greece, Bulgarian, too cold, and counting me...yes
There so no more questions about where it is
There has also been many well wishes, warm send offs, and a few teary goodbyes.  But the one thing I have been getting from everybody seems to be advice.  I am truly blessed to have so many people that care about me.  The advice ranges from basketball to everyday life to something so vulgar i can never repeat (this was said by the guy who inspected my car....you really dont wanna know).  I have had several great sit downs with my coaches, my parents, my close friends and family all with great insight as what to expect and how to carry myself.  However one of the most interesting pieces of advice I got was from my agent in a brief phone conversation we had a few days ago.


Jamie: So you ready man?
Adam: Yeah I'm really excited
Jamie: Kinda bittersweet tho isn't it?
Adam: Yeah def gonna miss everybody from home its just a long time ya know..
Jamie: Well look you just need to go over there, kill it, and come home.


...at first i let this comment pass me due to the fact that I got cut off by a 1990s minivan on I-540 (ok wow you passed me but you're still in a 20 year minivan...) but after a little while I got to thinking about exactly what that means...


While some of the advice I have gotten is to "see the sites" and "enjoy what europe has to offer" I have to remember I have a job to do.  That job is to play basketball at the best of my ability.  While I may be away from home for a long amount of time and it will be hard, probably almost unbearable to realize that my closest friends are an ocean away I am there on business.  The dream that I have wanted is slowly being realized.  It will take some getting used to.  From weekends to holidays I will not have my friends, elon teammates, and family around me.  I actually here they have another name for Thanksgiving over there...Thursday.  So alot of things will be different and take some getting used to, but all of it can be attained.  




After all, my plan is to go over there, kill it, and come home...







3 comments:

  1. that's right, kill it. but just remember to call every once and a while :-)

    i'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you... what a great thing to be living the dream! No advice but stay safe.

    Love the blog idea (Kayla?)
    Hugs, Cyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave Ramsey has similar advice: Leave the cave, kill something, drag it home and eat it.

    ReplyDelete