Thursday, August 5, 2010

Every story has a beginning..

The question is where to start with mine?  Well first let's start by saying Thank you.  My personal Savior Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father are the one true reason for my success so far in the game of basketball.  My family is the second reason and I thank my mom, dad and brother for being with me and supporting me every step of the way.  Now let's talk about whats been happening..

Well first things first I am now an official Elon graduate with a degree in Communications: Media Arts and Entertainment and a minor in Acting.  I finished my last semester with a 3.3 GPA and also completed many other extra curricular activities such as, being the senior film critic for The Pendulum, serving as President of SAAC (Student Athlete Advisory Committee) Co-Founding a small production company Black Diamond Productions, serving as the NBA analyst on One on One Sports, and always being a member of the NCAA Steering Committee which helped Elon University renew their Division 1 status in collegiate athletics.  Needless to say there were times when sleep wasn't really in the forefront of my mind.

Now let's talk basketball.  Its hard to believe that 4 years ago I was packing up and getting ready to head to Elon University as a freshman basketball player.  The four years have definitely flown by but I am thankful for the opportunity that it gave me.  After averaging 2.6 points and 2.5 rebounds as a freshman it seemed to be a long road to the chance at a professional career that I wanted.  The next two years were difficult with the only bright spot being a majestic run to the Conference Finals where we lost to the eventual Elite Eight Davidson Wildcats (I'm over it).
Going into my senior year I was filled with doubt, concern, and skepticism as our Athletic Director decided to bring in a new head coach, Matthew Matheny from Davidson of all places.  Needless to say I was not the happy Elon student you see on all the brochures.  However, it didn't take long for me to realize that there was a reason why he was hired, to take Elon Phoenix basketball to places it has never seen.  
Even though we lost in the Conference quarterfinals with a record that seemed disappointing on paper our team grew in ways that teams after us will learn from with a near win over ACC for NC State and the first win over Davidson since joining the Southern Conference.  On a personal level I thrived under Coach Matheny's system starting all 32 games, averaging 12.1 points and 8.4 rebounds, ranking 6th all-time on Elon's blocked shots list, and receiving all-state and all conference honors.  It was truly a blessing play under Coach Matheny as well as his assistance Coach Roberson, Sweeney, Gainey, and Wooten.  Phoenix Basketball is truly something I will miss and treasure forever.
After a successful senior season with a breakout game against NC State (26pts 10rbs) it was time to seek out representation for a potential professional career.  After many interviews with agents one thing was very clear: do your research.  If they sound shady on the phone, look them up.  And if there website has a picture of them STANDING IN A BATHROOM WITH THE CAMERA IN FRONT OF HIM IN A FUBU SHIRT...you probably dont want that guy as your agent.  After talking and speaking to several one stood out the most that would be able to represent me well.  Jamie Knox of Strategic Sports Management has been representing me and he has found me my first job.  
On August 14th I will be heading to the country of Bulgaria to play for a team called Rilski Sportist out of Samokov.  While this is a country I know very little of I am excited to find out what new challenges are waiting for me.  I am planning to keep this blog as a matter of record for all those who are back in the states, Bulgaria, or anywhere else in the world who would like to know how I am doing. This catches us up to the present.  By the next blog entry I should be in Samokov, Bulgaria!  Until then keep your eyes open for how God works.
Coach Matheny and me





6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plan brotha man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. better do work over there. find someone for those bus chats. hopefully he speaks english

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the blog! great way to hear what you're going to be doing! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are proud of you Adam!! We're going to miss you (especially Brock, you made quite an impact on him) but we're excited to follow your new adventure. Praying for many blessings for you!!

    Jennifer & Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written, my good friend. I wish you the best of luck; please keep this blog up! You're going places-just never forget what is truly important to you, especially when you feel lonely over there and feel as if no one understands. There are plenty of people here rooting for your happiness and success :) I am thankful I have gotten to know you! Do work, son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! God will go with you.
    Enjoy,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete