Monday, August 16, 2010

You're not in Kansas anymore

What you are about to read will be lengthy...it will capture everything from my departure to me typing this as we speak. It has been quite a roller coaster ride. So buckle up...put your hands in the air...here we go.

Wow what a day...and it wasnt even a full 24 hours for me.  I lost half a day of my life.  But anyways for those who are just reading this to see if I made it safely and then will leave my blog well i made it safe and sound....so i guess thats goodbye for you guys...(waiting...) ok it isn't just that I got here it's the how I got here that was quite interesting.  Why dont we start in raleigh..



Raleigh was tough because i was leaving everyone I have ever known.  Conner, Maxwell, Glenda, Kayla, David, Mom and Dad all came with me to see me off.  It was tough leaving them but its that kind of love and support that will get me through these ten months.  Ok so I get on the plane and its a 20 minutes jump to charlotte. Smooth.  I get off the plane and head to the next terminal where I will depart to Rome.  I stand in line for food and head to the gate. I grab my backpack my food and grab my other bag...wait....no i didnt....yep sure did...i left my other bag on the last plane....the last thing i remember before panic mode is that I have two choices.  I can casually walk back to the gate where the plane has most likely left...or I can sprint and risk being tackled by some over zealous airport cop who thinks im in the guinness world record for the tallest terrorist ever.

I sprint.

For about 3/4 of a mile to the last gate.  When I arrive I ask as calmly as I can (with sweat pouring down my body) if the plane is still there.  The good news is that the plane is.  The bad news is that my bag isnt on it.  Sweet Adam I hope someone is enjoying your brand new digital camera...and the money inside it...and your knee braces.  As I walk away dejected that I have lot something 20 minutes into my trip I see a flight attendant that was on our flight.  I ask her if she saw the bag. She said yes but one of the special assistance passengers said it was his and took it...WHAT?? what is he gonna do with two xbox controllers a tie and some cough drops?? They say i have to go to the next terminal...sweet at least ill be in shape.  I sprint over there right just in time to se a lady is about to drive off with my bag...really?? A chase scene in real life?  Yeah it happened.  Im pretty sure you're not supposed to sprint after airport personell...but i did.  And i caught the bloomin cart and took my bag...and then ran back to the gate.  Safe.  I send my last text messages and head on the nine hour flight to Rome.  Once on the plane I watch several forgettable movies Percy Jackson and the Lightning Theif (1.5/4 stars) Shrek Forever After (1 Star) and half of NCIS Los Angeles, eat what they tell me is food but i think the shipping company gave them prison food for dogs instead,  The portions were SO small.  Fortunately I have a switch in my neck called charm.  When the flight attendant came by i flipped it on.  I suddenly had another portion of the prison food. After all that I sleep for an hour or so.  Then concluded the fastest night of my life.  It started getting light when my watch read midnight!!!  It was amazing.  I have never been to Europe so I was excited to see land.

You know that person on the plane that is a total tool and is obviously a tourist and scrunches up to the window and takes all these pictures out of the window?





Guilty.


















I mean hey give me a break I have never even seen Europe!!!  So as we are descending I get to see small islands off of the coasts of Italy and all these vast farmlands with hundreds of sprinklers going on and as we pass over them the way the sun hits them causes a shimmer of a rainbow.  I mean ok God thanks for showing me what heaven will be like a little early.  This is all so amazing.
As we are approaching the airport reality sets in..and fast.  I realize that I only have boarding passes up to Rome....and my flight to Bulgaria leaves an hour after I land.  I pray that there is a sign or SOMETHING that will show me the way to go.  I step off the plane.  And I see a woman...with a sign that says...





Mr Constantine





WHAAAAAAAAAAAT????  Yes. I tell her thats me and she says "We have little time.  You walk very fast no?"  I'll walk as fast you want me to my sweet little Italian savior (I say little because she was about 5 feet tall).  Now I'm a fast walker but DANG this woman can move!!!  God thing I ran three miles in charlotte (see panic state above) and I could keep up with her.  Not gonna lie I feel like a rockstar.  There are 3 long lines that we have to stand in...or so I thought.  She walked me straight to the front of everyone.  Like i was somebody.  And people thought I was!!! People would stop there conversations and stare...(well i was also the only black person in the country I believe) one person even took a picture...didnt ask just walked up took one and walked away...umm...YES.  So I make my flight thanks to my Italian speedster and take a bus to my next plane.  Looks small...I board and the flight attendant looks at me and says sir would you be more comfortable in FIRST CLASS?  I told him to give me ten minutes to think....that is false i said why yes sir it certainly would.
Now I understand why people wanna be rich.  It was a short flight and i got food!! and orange juice and apple juice and a pillow and a blanket..just cuz i could.  So I obviously coudlnt take pictures there because im not some commoner in coach. Im in first class. im rich. (kidding kidding)  After we land my rockstar status soon comes to an end.  I wait by the baggage claim to get my baggage.  And I wait.  and i wait. and i wait....please no....i wait some more...i knew it was too perfect...my luggage is gone.  Nowhere to be found in Sofia.  So I report it to Lost and Found.  Here is how that conversation went.

Me: Hi my luggage didnt come in today
Her: Ok lets fill out some paperwork
Me: Ok
Her:  What is your address here?
Me: Uhh....
Her: Ok well what is the phone number?
Me: Umm...
Her: Ok well who is picking me up?
Me: Errr...


Needless to say this conversation didnt go well.  Fortunately my assistant coach was there to pick me up and filled out all the information.  We we head to the place where I will reside for the next ten months.  We get there I settle in and have dinner with my team and my coach for the first time.  It is weird being the quiet guy.  It is only by force because I have no idea what anyone is saying.  It is frustrating, interesting, bewildering, and enlightening all at the same time.  My teammates are all really nice tho all helping me out anyway they can.
That night was rough for me.  I went to bed at 11:30 and woke up at 4.
Hungry.
With no food.
And no computer.
Bored. To. Death.

From 4am to 8am i was wide awake.  From turning on Bulgarian TV to walking outside at 6am to reading a book i occupied my time until I finally fell asleep again.  

I woke back up again at 11 to go get a physical and had lunch with the team.  I set up a bank account that I'm not sure has an money in it yet so I hope that happens soon.  I also went grocery shopping.  Imagine seeing all this food that you dont recognize and cant read.  Yep.  thats me.  I was fortunate to find bread, jelly, a 3 gallon thing of water, and chips.  at least i wont starve tonight.
Then came the Main Event.  Practice.  They said it would be open to the fans and that media can come too. Yeah sure thatll happen.  I walk into a gym of about 400 and shut m mouth real quick.  There were some elon games we didnt have that many!!!  Nice.  So practice starts.  Its not bad but i learned one thing.  ONe amazingly wonderful great thing.
Europeans.

Love.

Dunks.

So I now love them.  It was enjoyable enough and not that tough but since we are in the mountains i was sucking wind at one point.  But I am in pretty decent shape.  One thing I did take from the practice though. I am not here to be a role player.  We will discuss more of that tomorrow.  Well I probably should go to bed now, because we have to run in the woods tomorrow.  Yes Monty I asked the stupid question of "Coach you mean the woods woods?"
The laughed.
That sucks.
Especially since I have been wearing the same clothes for a few days. 
Sidenote: I do wash them every night in the shower and leave them out to dry.

Ah yes about my jersey apparently our names are on the back of our jerseys.  I was really hoping i would be able to talk to the coach about the number i wanted but i already got my jersey...here it is...













YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH









11 comments:

  1. Check out entire my awesome deals!!!! Jerseys for and you to purchase!

    Constantine #32 Blue Jersey off sales now!

    Make your sure to orders today!!!

    www.connersatool.eu

    lol
    SPAMMING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahahahaha! Love the pix. Been praying for God's favor on your behalf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Adam! I am so thrilled that we get to experience this with you via your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a great writer, a wonderful storyteller. I read your post out loud to my whole family because they're fans, too. They didn't already know how great you are at writing though - they only knew about your amazing basketball skills. We can't wait to see your next post. WE LOVE THE PHOTOS, TOO! We feel like we're all along on the adventure. Thank you for sharing. ;-) .... It was a struggle leaving this note for you, because I have so many WordPress accounts for Elon projects. - Janna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome man Awesome!! Can't wait for your next one. You've already had an adventure and a half and its only been like a couple days. Love it. Love it. Love it!! Keep it coming. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW that is AWESOME!!! Enjoy Europe every moment you can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "or I can sprint and risk being tackled by some over zealous airport cop who thinks im in the guinness world record for the tallest terrorist ever."

    glad you got there ok achmed... i mean adam! DO IT BIG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha what a great/adventurous experience! You're going places my man, can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ADAM!!! I LOVE THE JERSEY!!!! i'm so glad to hear that you're settled in, minus not having your bags (aren't you happy i made you wear those clothes now?) i love you so much! i can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! What an adventure. Faith and I are greatly anticipating your next one. Take care!

    ReplyDelete