Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Boys are Back in Town Part 2

FRIDAY:

It was game day and a big one at that.  This was a game against a team that had won 5 out of its last 6 and were led by a player named Darius Hargrove who leads the league in scoring and happens to also be signed to the same agency, Strategic Sports Management (a little shameless plug for my agent Jamie Knox) after a little playful banter between the two of us it was clear that this game was going to have multiple trash talking opportunities.
















Time to kick it up a notch.

















Before Maxwell, Paul and I headed out to the game I told them we were going to watch the movie 300 so I could get "in the zone."




















  They put all sharp objects out of my reach.

















After the movie and a brief but intense Jam session that sent 3 of my neighbors up to my door to inform me (in swedish) that my music was too loud, we headed down to the arena. (...ok its a gym but how much cooler does it sound when I say arena??)




























I can't tell you how much it meant to see them in the stands and as I was warming it up it was entertaining to see them walking around the gym cameras in hand, and taking pictures of everything like they founded a black paparazzi organization.

















Max was taking pictures of me warming up and asked if I could shoot on his side....sure why not.  I continue to shoot and he asks if I could hold my follow through up a little longer.....umm ok I guess.  Then he asks me if I can face him and dribble....OK DUDE this isn't the latest issue of 'Blacks in Sweden' I have a game to warm up for!! (To my knowledge there is no such magazine.)

















Soon enough the game starts and we are off to the races.  I open up the game with a huge dunk and look over to see Max and Paul going crazier than Lady Gaga in her music videos.




















This is gonna be a good day.

















The game is a back and forth battle and I am on the front lines of each end.  On defensive our guard forces his man to the baseline and as he goes for a layup. I come across for the block which leads to a Solna offensive fastbreak.  I trail the play keeping my eyes on the ball the whole time.  When I reach the 3point line I see the shot go up and I sprint towards the basket.  The ball bounces off the rim and I proceed to record my second dunk of the day.  And a tip dunk at that.  (Thats going on the end of year highlight video)

















At halftime we find ourselves down by a small margin and I have 6 points and 9 rebounds.  We need to come back alot harder in the second half if we want to beat this team.  We come out in the second half and its still a back and forth game.  In the middle of the third quarter I see that we are down 5.  Its a dead ball situation and I'm tired.  I look over at Paul and he sees it.

















For a moment its just the two of us.  He doesn't say anything, he just gives me a nod but it tells me all I need to know.

















Time to kick it up a notch.

















We are on the defensive end and after a good possession of hard defense I grab the rebound and we sprint down to the other end.  Walker drives down the paint dishes me the ball and go up chest to chest with a guy and finish with authority.

















Down 3.

















We set up our defense, force another missed shot, I grab the rebound and I find myself part of a 4 on 3 fast break (for the basketball ignorant 4 on 3 means we have 4 offensive players against 3 of their defensive players) the ball is passed to me just as I'm passing the free throw line...with the defender in between me and the basket it is too far for me to try and dunk it but my momentum is moving me too far forward to shot a jump shot...yes ladies and gentlemen there was only one option...










a floater...




















Down 1.

















I stared at my hand in disbelief but I actually just consciously shot my first floater.   We race back on defense, but I'm still in disbelief.  I snap back to reality just in time to see Oli guarding his defender as he drives to the basket.  I race over there right as he lets a floater of his own go....

















I jump up as high as I can and record one of my most electric blocks of the season...
















My knee hits the back of Oli's head and I fall forward landing on my wrist and my knee,  in pain I get pack up and run (limp) down the court where my teammate finds me wide open for a jumper.


















Up 1.

















Jamtland calls a timeout...I turn to the crowd with my hands raised and look at Paul and Maxwell as they cheer wildly.

















I look at the crowd and for a second I just pause to take it all in.  This is why I play this game.  For the people I love.  For the love of the game.
























I will remember that moment for the rest of my life.

















Unfortunately my knee did give me considerable amounts of pain...but I finished the game strong and with 14 points 13 rebounds and 2 blocks I was happy when we came away with the 80-76 victory.










After the game and a delicious meal of Pizza Stugan we went and hung out with my team for a long time and decided to just stay up until it was time for me to take them to the airport (630am...fun).  This is what had us laughing until we cried...



































Some of the best memories will be from the trip that my brothers came out and saw me in Sweden, and as I drove away from the airport after having dropped them off I noticed there must have been a hole in my roof that water was coming in from because my cheeks were wet...




















It followed me into my apartment.

















However as sad I was I realized that my job here isn't finished yet.  I realized that there was one momnumental task ahead of the Solna Vikings that I couldn't wait to experience.

















The Playoffs.
















Until then.

1 comment:

  1. Jack: Was that an intimidating game? I like the pictures where you dunk.
    Caroline: BEASTLY!
    Destre: It does sound a lot cooler when you say arena.
    Gavin: Hysterical photos! When does the highlight reel come out?
    Sally: You were brave to stay in the game with a hurt knee.
    Amelia: Good luck in the playoffs.
    Sydney: Nice floater.
    Ally: Hope your knee gets better.

    ReplyDelete